In a significant update, the Uttar Pradesh government has announced that state-run schools will be allowed to reopen in a staggered manner from 15 October 2020. The state administration informed that the district authorities would decide to reopen schools in the state based on the local COVID-19 situation and once the consultation with the schools is done. The state government has also issued new guidelines that schools must follow to ensure safety in the face of the dire situation.
New Guidelines to be Issued Soon
The Uttar Pradesh government will release the revised guidelines and safety protocols soon. These protocols will be mandatory for schools as well as students and staff to follow. Guidelines will be issued, keeping in mind the status of the state. The district administration will play a key role in delineating the feasibility of reopening the schools.
Students who want to attend classes must keep track of the guidelines to avoid any confusion. Reformed timetables will be issued by the respective schools to ensure the safety of students and staff. Under no circumstances will students and staff falling under containment zones be allowed to commute to school premises.
Coaching Institutes Also Allowed to Function
In a recent press release, UP Chief Secretary R.K. Tiwari informed citizens that, along with schools, the government would also allow coaching institutes to function. Uttar Pradesh is a hub of coaching institutes catering to various national and state-level competitive examinations. Many students are demanding that the classes be resumed with the schedule of major competitive examinations like UGC NET and UPSC Civil Services Examination being announced.
Standard Measures Outlined
Some of the standard measures which the students, as well as the staff, must know, are listed below:
- No student or staff falling under the containment zone will be allowed to attend the classes.
- Only fifty percent of staff and one-third majority of students per class will be allowed to attend school.
- Parental consent is mandatory for students to attend classes.
- Social distancing norms, proper sanitization facilities, and staggered forms of entry and exit must be followed in the premise.
- Entire school premises should be sanitized at regular intervals to ensure safety.
- Students and staff must carry their sanitizer, water bottle, etc. to avoid contact.
In trying times like this, everyone, especially students, must take care of their safety. Although this isn’t the right time to reopen as the COVID-19 cases are regularly rising, the flow of education must not be jeopardized.