Under the guidelines released by the Government of India as part of ‘Unlock 5.0’, schools and colleges were supposed to reopen from 15 October 2020 for senior classes. However, according to the latest updates, the Minister of Human Resource Development and the heads of various states held a meeting to discuss the same. After the discussion, many states decided to review whether the current situation is feasible enough to allow the schools to function.
Punjab Government Postpones Reopening of Schools
Punjab School Education Minister Vijay Inder Singla shared a tweet that mentions that the Punjab Government will allow schools to reopen form 19 October 2020. Students of 9 to 12 standards will attend regular classes for the time being. Also, no student, teacher, or staff will be allowed to function from containment zones. Students and teachers from the containment zone will only be permitted once the situation improves.
SOPs and Guidelines to be Followed
According to the latest updates, the Punjab Government has laid down certain specific Standard Operation Protocols and Guidelines that the students and the school authorities must keep in mind once the educational institutions are functional again. Some of the guidelines are mentioned below:
- Social Distancing Norms: School authorities should make classroom seating arrangements based on social distancing norms. Staggered entry and exit to and from the classrooms will be followed.
- Dress Code: The students must wear full-sleeved clothes to avoid contamination from surface and touch.
- COVID-19 Safety Kit: Schools should stock up on the essential items required as a precautionary measure against the contamination of the virus. Things like an extra face mask, hand sanitiser, gloves, PPE Kits, etc.
- Face Masks Compulsory: The students, teachers, and staff must wear face masks all the time and keep sanitising their hands at regular intervals.
- Particular Timetable: A special timetable will be prepared to allow only one-third of the students at a time. Multiple shifts will be there in a day to ensure that all the students are getting a chance to attend the classes.
Online Classes for the Rest of the Students
Although COVID-19 cases are reaching a new high every day, education has hit an abysmal low. Now that people are coming to terms with the new normal, schools and colleges must reopen not to let this academic year be a failure. The times aren’t conducive enough, but that education cannot stop. For the rest of the standards, schools will continue with online classes. If the situation gets a bit normal, standard 6 to 8 will be called, and similarly, the schools will slowly reopen.