The Coronavirus outbreak has caused problems in conducting the exams in a usual manner. Many parties in states are protesting for not conducting NEET and JEE Main exams this year as coronavirus cases are increasing each day. The Education Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ said on Wednesday that many students and parents are requesting not to cancel NEET and JEE Main exams as per Supreme Court’s order. However, the National Testing Agency (NTA) is set to conduct the exams as planned.
The Ministers of six states had moved to the Supreme Court to review its order to conduct the medical and engineering entrance exam. On 17 August 2020, the Supreme Court had rejected the plea to postpone the NEET & JEE Mains exams. Many political parties and their leaders and representatives including Mamta Banerjee-West Bengal, Amarinder Singh-Punjab, Udhav Thackerey-Maharashtra, and Ashok Gahlot-Rajasthan have demanded to postpone the exams as it is dangerous and it could affect many people at the same time.
But the Education Minister said the NTA DG had shared with him that around 7.5 Lakh admit cards had been downloaded out of 8.58 lakh registrations for JEE Mains. Meanwhile, within 24 hours, more than 10 lakh candidates have downloaded their NEET 2020 admit cards out of 15.97 lakh registered aspirants.
The common entrance exam for engineering for 2020 is called JEE Mains 2020 and is scheduled to be conducted between 1 – 6 September 2020 while the National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET) 2020 is scheduled to be conducted on 13 September 2020.