The GATE 2021 exam is conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), and seven Indian Institutes of Technology namely IIT Bombay, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, and Roorkee. This year, IIT Bombay is organizing the GATE exam and is responsible for the end to end coordination amongst all the institutes that administer it.
As the exam is all set to commence on 5 February 2021, candidates can note the following guidelines to appear in the exam without facing any challenges.
Important Details and Timings Related to GATE Exam 2021
The GATE exam will be conducted by IIT Bombay this year in two shifts. Refer to the following points to find out crucial information regarding the GATE 2021 exam.
- GATE 2021 exam is a computer-based mode exam.
- Date of exam: the exam will be conducted on 5 February, 6 February, 7 February, 12 February, 13 February, and 14 February 2021. The exam will be conducted in two sessions each day.
- Timings: the morning shift exam timing is 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM, and for the evening shift, timing will be 3 PM to 6 PM.
- There are 27 subject papers, and two new subjects have been added in GATE 2021.
- GATE 2021 question paper will consist of multiple-choice based questions (MCQ) and Numerical Answer Type (NAT).
- Candidates who have completed any bachelor’s degree or are in their final years are eligible to appear for the GATE exam.
- There is no maximum age limit to give the GATE 2021 exam.
- The GATE score is valid for three years from the date of announcement of the result.
- Aspirants can visit the official website – gate.iitb.ac.in for further information.
- Candidates can choose two combinations of papers from the given list. Based on the availability of infrastructure and dates, the final allotment of the papers will be done.
GATE 2021 Exam Day Guidelines
Candidates should reach the examination centre 60 minutes before the exam starts. Candidates must carry their admit card and an ID for verification. Candidates without admit card will not be permitted to enter the examination hall. Other essential guidelines that candidates must follow are:
- Take the print out of the admit card and carry it to the examination centre.
- Items like a watch, personal calculators, etc., are not allowed in the examination hall. Any candidate possessing these items in the exam hall will face the consequences.
- Do not carry any valuable items to the examination centre.
- Candidates will not be allowed to enter the examination hall after the exam timings which are 9:30 AM for the morning shift and 3 PM for the evening shift.
- Keep a copy of the GATE 2021 admit card for further reference.
- The management will provide rough sheets for calculations.
Other Important Instructions
Apart from the regular exam instructions, candidates must take care of the following points considering the COVID-19 protocols:
- Candidates must follow the COVID-19 guidelines. They should stand in a queue on the floor marks while entering the entrance gate.
- Candidates with a body temperature of 99.4 degrees will have to give the exam in an isolation area.
- Do not forget to maintain social distancing norms.
- Items that you should not forget to carry to the examination hall are:
- Personal hand sanitiser
- Admit card
- ID verification
- A personal, transparent water bottle